so was on an express bus to work after staying over at my sister's place for the night. once you hit the highway, if you don't have a seat, well, good luck trying to sleep standing.
unfortunately, that was the state I found myself in. but it wasn't really an issue. i had my music and what I would consider as sufficient sleep.
and I found myself pleasantly distracted by a father with a sleeping daughter on his lap and a young son listening to him read How to Train Your Dragon 2. the daughter would let out a soft whimper once in a while and the son was just wide-eyed at the book. the boy was older and the interaction between the father and his two kids was simply adorable.
and I could see weariness in the man's eyes. and eye bags. still, he continued reading to the son for 10 mins until the bus took a turn and started to head for the highway. he told his son that he was going to close his eyes for a quick nap and that if the little one wanted to continue reading, he could just flip the pages and look at the pictures. then rearranging the little girl on his lap, he leaned back and closed his eyes.
while the father was reading, they weren't loud. the son would ask questions politely in a controlled tone. the little girl's whines were not often. and the man seemed in absolute control of the entire thing, his tone always gentle and nurturing with his children.
after a few seconds, the little boy looked up to his father, about to ask another question. he saw how his father had closed his eyes and then turned his attention to his little sister. A smile broke on his face and he patted her cheek gently before closing his book. then he nuzzled his face against his father's arm contentedly and stared at the cover of the book while yawning. he looked up and we exchanged glances. I smiled at him and he smiled back shyly before flipping his book open again.
I sincerely wish for all parents to take a leaf out of this man's book. whatever his book is.
No comments:
Post a Comment