it's that time of the year again.
Christmas lights. roasted chestnuts and hawkers yelling for you to buy their gao laks. overeating.
another time to think about what you've done for the year.
it does feel fake. to only start thinking of giving back to the community this time. especially since I haven't written to my child in a while. I do owe her an apology note and a nice long letter. maybe a little something even though I have no idea what she needs. I should really ask her about that.
other than the child sponsorship, I take this time to give a little more in return. it's really not hard. not hard at all. for people with starhub accounts, it's almost no effort. you can use your starhub accounts reward points to exchange for a donation. and even enjoy double tax deductions on your donation amount.
then there are plenty of organizations in Singapore who appreciate monetary donations. salvation army and the thrift shop at SCWO take donated items as well. of course, don't use them as your dumping ground. that's just being an asshole. you have a bin for that.
got your eye on the world? there's WWF. UNICEF. World Vision. donations here aren't tax deductible because they are not Singapore IPC registered charities. but really, that shouldn't be stopping you. Unicef and World Vision make it incredibly easy. instead of just giving money, you can buy gifts for specific purposes for specific nations that you are passionate about. UNICEF has the inspired gifts and World Vision has their life changing gifts.
the main point is to start giving if you aren't.. which would you choose? that $5 bill rebate or $5 donation to a charity under the Starhub Rewards?
"in our world of plenty, we can spread a smile of joy"
and if you are already giving, what's stopping you from giving just a little more during this period to remind them that it's Christmas after all.
"but say a prayer pray for the other ones"
there are times i think i'm doing enough to make a difference. sponsor a child. disaster relief. even something as inconsequential to me like giving up a seat, helping someone on the street that needs help. but at Christmas, it hits me hard that I'm not lacking in my needs. it hits me even harder that I can do just that little bit more but yet I'm not doing it.
so this is my plea to whoever is out there reading this. i hope this spurs you to start giving or giving a little more. i'm not perfect and i'm working on it as well. let's do this together. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment