Had a conversation with someone the other day and we were talking about our past work experiences.
And while I'm not one who exposes my vulnerabilities easily, I'm open with my mental illness past because there is much to learn from it. Plus it's a good way of helping people realize that it's more prevalent than we think.
When the topic of politicking and backstabbing and toxic environments came up, he sighed and looked at me.
"How does one be the bigger person after being a victim?"
I shrugged, "I'm a Christian, above and beyond any other label the world has for me. I'm not a 'bigger person'. I don't like that idea. I'm just a Christian."
He frowned, "easier said than done. Where does one find the strength and the ability to not just forgive, but to also keep the door open?"
"It was never closed. But God gave me strength to not close the door that He opened," I replied. Another sigh and the topic was changed.
The old me would have been vindictive. Angry. Vengeful. The old me would have cut off people in self-preservation and surround myself with people encouraging me to do all that. To even ruin people.
But with all that He's done, old me isn't suppressed. Old me has changed and I am grateful. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment