went for lunch with the K sisters after church today at TP. then when we were walking to the train station, an elderly couple sitting in the shade near the train stations asked if we could buy them some food for lunch.
it was nearly 3pm by then. the sisters were rushing off so I told them to go ahead and that I would deal with the matter. I turned to the couple and told them that International Plaza should have food and we could head there together. the elderly man thanked me and helped his wife(?) slowly get up and walk. but we had only gone a few steps when the old lady said that she was too tired and that it was too hot so she just wanted to sit. I offered to buy them food but the man rejected the offer with a soft smile, leading the lady back to the shade to rest.
feeling uneasy, I walked quickly over to the plaza. the sun was honestly mad hot. thankfully, there was a deli there so I picked up two chiffon cakes and a bottle of cold water before jogging back to the corner, hoping the couple was still there. thankfully they were and the man had stopped another young couple this time, asking if they could help them buy a bun or something. I figured he had a change of heart so I quickly approached him.
the elderly man looked at me stunned before breaking into a small smile, "you came back."
I smiled back and handed him the two cakes and the water. he took the bag with both hands and bowed, thanking me. the young couple smiled at me and we exchanged brief nods of acknowledgement before I headed back to the train station. I then overheard the young man ask the older man if he still needed more food.
at night, I told my mother about it. she asked me if I ever wondered if the elderly couple was out to con people. I paused and nodded. then I explained that I would rather be conned than to reject someone in real need. she smiled at me and said that the younger couple and I did a good thing today.
let it not be said that we Singaporeans are unkind. as ungracious as majority seem to be, there are always a few gems still sparkling to help make the day a little brighter for others out there. ^-^
No comments:
Post a Comment