Wednesday, March 19, 2014

was on the bus today when I overheard a little kid from an international school telling his friend that Samsung copied Apple. and because his friend was using a Samsung, it meant that his friend was a copycat.

then he proceeded to ask his Samsung using friend why he couldn't afford an Apple.

i was probably one comment away from an assault and child abuse charge.


the Samsung using kid is a little Korean boy that I usually see on the bus. he's the cutest little thing when he talks to his older sister and goes into full-aegyo mode. Apple boy was a tinier fella who kept talking about travelling. after a while, i turned my music up to block out his boasting.

i blame the kid's parents. i'm serious. i think my parents would have hit me if they heard me talking like that. but then again, there was no chance of me doing that. i never had branded stuff unless i saved up for it. but all my money was put to buying CDs and Glory Glory Man Utd. I carried a backpack that was a freebie from a petrol station from secondary school up to my second year in JC when I finally saved up enough money to get myself a deuter.

while people were drinking Starbucks weekly, it was a quarterly treat for me. but I don't know. it never really affected me back then. I couldn't be bothered about carrying a mambo-brand bag or wearing roxy slippers. $4.90 Trail slippers from army market were good enough.

probably why people think I'm a HDB-girl even though I grew up thinking that majority of Singaporeans stayed in landed, having seen landed property for most of my life, and going to my friends' private houses. and I'm thankful for that. that I never took anything for granted.


and may I never ever take anything for granted. and also that I won't ever hear little Apple boy boasting. seriously.

No comments: