Friday, June 06, 2014

so I had a talk with a friend about BGR recently. and she said something that just left me unimpressed and worried.

“a girl should find a guy who will love her more than she loves him. she needs to protect herself.”

protect herself? from? from being hurt? from heartaches when the guy doesn’t deliver? from pain when she realizes that she’s given more of herself than the guy has in the relationship?

i stared at her and told her, “we love not because of the love we will receive in return. we love because God first loved us. love is a response to God, not conditional on man.”

she tried to explain herself and somewhere in the middle of it, i was exasperated when i stared at her.

“love is not selfish! love is kind and patient. love is good and love will hurt you because it is supposed to give without asking for anything in return.”

i was pretty much dying through the conversation. much like this:



by the end of the night, we both agreed that it is human nature to want to protect ourselves. no one wants to be hurt. no one wants to feel pain. it’s a natural instinct to seek security. and then i reminded her, “that’s why i’m single.”


For me to want to be in a relationship... He's got to be a big deal.

I've lived life alone for so long. I've depended on myself. Made decisions for and by myself. Plus that one experience I had...

The next one has to be a big deal for me to want to no longer want to be single. I'm not asking for expensive gifts or for his attention 24/7.

All I ask is for a selfless man who will consider others before him. I want a man who looks out for others. I want a man who will love because God loves, not because of the love he'll receive in return for his love.

of course it would be extremely nice if he's someone who will be there with a hug when the day is bad or at least over the phone, not distracted by other things (surfing, online shows..) on days when I just need a listening ear.

I need to know that this man will be worth giving up the singlehood that I’be been so comfortable with to give him my all in the relationship.

If not, I'd much rather be single. really.

No comments: