Sunday's sermon was a tough one. Not because it was a sin I struggled with. But because it was a sin I didn't struggle with.
And most of the church don't. Or so it seems. But because of it, i think it has affected where people's hearts are.
I spoke to some after the sermon and got feedback. And this is what I heard from some...
"Isn't it obvious that it is wrong? Why do they choose a lie over the truth?"
"Why can't they see it when it is so clear?"
"Why aren't they convinced? I know I am."
And my heart hurts. No, it's not that they don't understand. It's that we don't understand the pains, struggles, fears, and despair that homosexual Christians experience. It's that we don't understand what it means to be put in a spotlight and be stared at, made to feel inadequate because of it.
Of course we are convinced of what was preached. It goes according to our thoughts. It is what we live by and what we hear. But we so quickly forget that when a sermon rebukes our own personal sins, we create excuses for ourselves too.
Yes, God has leveled all sins. The liar is as sinful as the adulterer and as sinful as one who has exchanged God's natural intent for the unnatural. And the grace shown to us all is the same grace. But we too quickly forget that the struggles are different. So incredibly different. Which is why I felt D's apology to the homosexuals for how they had been treated was heartfelt. Sincere. Humble. He knew that it was unpleasant for them to hear the sermon. He knew it would irk them. But he did it with much love and care. In a way a shepherd takes a wounded sheep and tends to the wounds while gently coaxing it to stay by his side.
May we be more understanding as a church. May we be loving and kind in rebuke. May we keep praying for all.
No comments:
Post a Comment