Work makes me depressed.
What's even more depressing is that retail therapy does nothing for me nowadays. I walk in and out of shops aimlessly. Nothing catches my fancy anymore. Shoes don't fit as well and aren't what I have in mind. Apparels just leave me bored as I filter in and out of shops.
Perhaps it's the fashion of the seasons that don't thrill me anymore. Or perhaps I'm just too boring.
What ever happened to the clean classic fitted white t-shirt? Or basic quarter sleeves with details in the collar.
Crap. I can't find anything in the stores that thrill me. I have my own grips even about the underwear styles and brands I swear by.
Then again, it's hard when you're always digging through the bargain bins or mid-range price shops. I tried a dress from the penelope cruz dress from mango. Didn't thrill me. Then I remember a ted baker dress I tried. It was classy and simple, not over the top. It was tailored and it was flattering. It had a high 3 digit price-tag to it.
I hate fashion. It creates a mould for people to fit into and leaves little room for individualism. I can't follow seasons. From safaris to maxi dresses to tunics. The worse is prob bubble skirts. I'm not saying that people who wear stuff like that are wrong. I'm saying people who wear stuff for the sake of fashion and feel uncomfortable and don't even like how they look are dumb. Why conform to the 'fashion of the times'?
Maybe that's why I love hats. No one touches hats. Classic fedoras, baseball caps and the brown hat that I go every where with. Prob the only clothing that I truly feel comfortable with and love to wear. It's easy to find a hat I like. Still..
Style is lost on the world. Clothes shouldn't make people self-conscious of themselves. Clothes should make people feel comfortable and relaxed and beautiful. When I walk the streets, I see people. I see good-looking people. There are truly beautiful people out there, just not as many as there should be. Beautiful people are those who like what they wear, are comfortable with what they wear and not make people's eyes burn with horror when they walk past. Being comfortable in clashing pj-like clothes at raffles place is not beautiful.
As I write this, I'm tugging at my white top. It keeps eating up into my pits...
I write this as a late tribute to a style guru. He knew what he was doing. He knew that his designs were not made for breakthroughs in the fashion world. He knew that his designs were for women. He didn't do it just for the fame, he did it for the women.
From the man who once said, "Fashions fade, style is eternal", hats off to you, Yves Saint Laurent.
No comments:
Post a Comment