Tuesday, May 07, 2013

In a societal pond where the paper chase is endless and degrees, masters and phds are somewhat revered, there's a ripple on the surface.

we are now told that you can't eat a paper. that it's what you do about your situation that defines you are in life. that regardless of the education you have received, you can achieve things. you can be a better person.

and I believe that. I see the man sweeping the street with his head bowed in shame. yet when I give him a small smile as I pass by, his face lights up with a smile in return. that versus the numb faces of the  'highly educated' people in the office building lift, all buried in the brain-washing glow of their smartphones.. nary a smile or a small nod to say good morning.

there is a ripple.

people coming out to share success stories of how they beat the odds and came out from the runt that they were shoved into. people of authority telling us to acknowledge the talents in what society views as "less educated".


then I talk to people 'on the inside' and they don't buy it. their unchanging perceptions remain that these people are less educated because they are not equipped to cope with education and as such, are condemned to a lifetime of being unable to comprehend simple english or logic thinking.


and I'm reminded... it's only a ripple. it disturbs the surface. it spreads for a while. then it disappears, as though it's never been there. that's all a ripple does.

society needs more than just a ripple. sigh.

No comments: